heading to Rotoroa Island
an island apart
Rotoroa Island is a unique arts, heritage and conservation island nestled among a chain of islets off Waiheke’s east coast only a 75 minute ferry ride away from downtown Auckland.
Rotoroa is easy to traverse in a day, so bring your walking shoes, pack a picnic and explore the island - or simply relax with a swim at one of four beautiful beaches. The island is the Hauraki Gulf's newest wildlife sanctuary and in partnership with Auckland Zoo, the Rotoroa Island Trust has begun to release endangered native species on the island, including kiwi, saddlebacks, reptiles and takahe.
Rotoroa has good and varied walking tracks plus four-star accommodation, beautiful beaches, heritage buildings and an award-winning museum and exhibition centre. Explore trails among regenerating bush, see the monumental sculpture by Chris Booth, and contemplate views across the Gulf to the Coromandel.
Please note: prices include a $5.00 (adult) and $3.00 (child) landing fee which is received by the Rotoroa Island Trust for funding ongoing island maintenance and development.
Journey time approx. 75 minutes from downtown Auckland.
Bookings are essential.
HOW MUCH TIME YOU NEED FOR YOUR WHOLE TRIP?
Rotoroa is a full day activity.
WHAT TO BRING
- Good walking shoes, sun block and a sun hat.
- Change of clothes, swimming gear and a towel. There are changing sheds on the island.
- Plenty of water, snacks and lunch (there is no food or drink available to purchase on Rotoroa).
- A light rain jacket, depending on the time of year and conditions.
- Rotoroa has no shops, so the last opportunity to buy food or drink is on the ferry.
- Make use of the FREE BBQs (remember to bring your own cooking utensils).
- Also note that cell phone access and fresh water are available on the island.
- There are no rubbish bins on pest-free islands. If you bring food, please remember to take it off the island with you.
Rotoroa Island offers some delightful upmarket holiday homes which all have fantastic views, are renovated to a high standard in vibrant vintage style and have all the comforts of home. Bookings are essential. To find out more and to book, visit rotoroa.org.nz/accommodation.aspx.
IMPORTANT BIOSECURITY INFORMATION
This island is pest-free and provides a sanctuary for our native wildlife. Please help to ensure the island stays pest-free. Our vessels are licensed by the Department of Conservation (DOC) and the Auckland Council to visit islands in the Hauraki Gulf. We run a biosecurity system on all our vessels which meet the criteria to hold a ‘Pest-Free Warrant’ for the Hauraki Gulf.
What you need to do to prepare for your trip to pest-free Rotoroa Island:
- Please check your bags for stowaways, such as mice, rats, Argentine Ants and Rainbow Skinks to name a few.
- Ensure your footwear, clothing and bags are clean and free of soil and seeds.
- Your lunch must be packed in a rodent-proof/ sealed container e.g. hard plastic.
- No open bags or boxes will be allowed on-board. Everything you bring must be sealed or zipped closed.
If you would like to stay on the island overnight please book here.
Please note: If you'd like to stay overnight on the island, please call us on 09 367 9111 to book your next day return ferry tickets.
- Any overnight gear i.e. sleeping bags, need to be checked for pest stowaways.
- Food must be packed into rodent-proof/ sealed containers.
- If you have any doubts or questions about your packed items please ask customer services staff or the boat crew.
- Island Rangers are not available for briefing on Mondays and Tuesdays, so please book your departure to accommodate this.
- Visit http://www.treasureislands.co.nz for further information on bio-security and the Pest-free Warrant.
GETTING TO ROTOROA
360 Discovery run services to Rotoroa via the Coromandel ferry service. Please always refer to our travel updates to ensure that this service is currently running.
For more information on Rotoroa visit rotoroa.org.nz.