rangitoto tours VOLCANIC EXPLORER TOUR
Combine your ferry trip to Rangitoto Island with a guided tour of the island on our 4WD road-train. Find out more about this unique volcano from our knowledgeable guides who provide fascinating commentary on the island's fiery past.
On your arrival at the island, you will pass under the hand carved waharoa (gateway) then make your way to the parked explorer tour vehicle where your ranger guide will greet you. Once on board, you'll journey through rugged lava crops and native bush, while our guide talks to you about the history and geology of the island. The tour will take you to the base of the summit where it's a short walk to the summit along a wooden boardwalk with steps to the very top.
After taking in the panoramic views, ride back for the return trip to the wharf in time to catch your ferry back to Auckland.
|Availability:||Departs Auckland: 12.15pm (12.25pm from Devonport) andl 9.15am (9.25am from Devonport) daily.|
|Time:||At least 4 ½ hours including ferry travel.|
|Tour Price:||Adult $65.00, Child $32.50, Family $163.00 (ferry fares are included).|
|Fitness:||Easy. This tour is not suitable for pregnant women, or people recovering from surgery.|
WHAT TO BRING
- Good walking shoes, sun block and a sun hat.
- Change of clothes, swimming gear and a towel.
- Plenty of water, snacks and lunch.
- A light rain jacket, depending on the time of year and conditions.
- A torch may also be useful if you wish to explore the lava caves.
- Rangitoto has no shops, so the last opportunity to buy food or drink is on the ferry.
- There are no rubbish bins on pest-free islands. If you bring food, please remember to take it off the island with you.
IMPORTANT BIOSECURITY INFORMATION
This island is pest-free and provides a sanctuary for our native wildlife. Please help to ensure the island stays pest-free. Our vessels are licensed by the Department of Conservation (DOC) and the Auckland Council to visit islands in the Hauraki Gulf. We run a biosecurity system on all our vessels which meet the criteria to hold a ‘Pest-Free Warrant’ for the Hauraki Gulf.
What you need to do to prepare for your trip to pest-free Rangitoto Island:
- Please check your bags for stowaways such as: mice, rats, Argentine Ants and Rainbow Skinks to name a few.
- Ensure your footwear, clothing and bags are clean and free of soil and seeds.
- Your lunch must be packed in a rodent-proof/ sealed container e.g. hard plastic.
- No open bags or boxes will be allowed on-board. Everything you bring must be sealed or zipped closed.
Sailings to and from Rangitoto Wharf are dependent on weather conditions and may have to sail in and out of Islington Bay Wharf. We recommend contacting us on 09 367 9111 or checking our travel notices online prior to departure.
DON’T GET STRANDED!
Please check the time of the last ferry at the start of your trip – a clock on the wharf will indicate the last departure.