Traverse Waiheke’s southern coastal headland to beautiful bays, plus opt to pop into wineries or a café in Oneroa Village on your return.
Matiatia Wharf – Church Bay – Oneroa – Matiatia Wharf
- From the ferry terminal at Matiatia Wharf, turn right to head south towards the carpark. You’ll see a green and yellow trailhead indicating “Scenic Walking Tracks” to Church Bay.
- Follow the trail to the southern end of Matiatia Bay. You’ll see another green and yellow sign post indicating the direction of the Church Bay Track.
- Cross the footbridge, follow the track uphill to the lookout on Nick Johnstone Drive, and continue along the coastal track to Te Miro Bay. The coastline will lead you to Church Bay – when you get to the end, follow the track along the fence line to the top of the hill towards Church Bay Road.
- Turn left onto Church Bay Road. From here you’ll come across a few vineyards with restaurants if you’d like to stop for lunch.
- 150 metres from where you enter Church Bay Road, Jurassic Ridge winery will be on your left.
- The entrance to Mudbrick Restaurant and Vineyard is just 200 metres further.
- Cable Bay winery and restaurant is another 800 metres at the intersection of Nick Johnstone Drive.
- Afterwards, follow Church Bay Road all the way through Alison Park to Oneroa Village, where there are also many shops and lunch options – plus a stunning beach.
- When you’re ready to head back to Matiatia, turn left onto Ocean View Road and follow it to the wharf.
- Or as an alternative, enter Atawhai Whenua Reserve and follow the lower track along the edge of the wetland to Matiatia Bay.
Walking times are based on an average to slow pace, and will vary with different levels of fitness, plus time for a wine tasting, lunch or relaxation on the beach.
Time: Approximately 2.25 hours
Distance: 8.3 km
Know before you go
- Bring water with you.
- There are plenty of cafés to stop into Oneroa Village, as well as several wineries with restaurants along the route.
- Wear sturdy walking shoes.
- Wear sunscreen and a hat.
- Bring swimming gear and a towel if you’d like to swim at Oneroa beach.
- Bring a jacket and layers, as weather can change quickly.