The Waiheke Island southern walk is free, pricing is for return ferry only.
Adult return $55
Child return $26
Child is 5-15 years inclusive.
Infant return $0
Under 5s travel for free.
Family return $122.50
Family consists of two adults and two children.
Waiheke Island’s Southern Walk takes you from Matiatia Ferry Terminal to some of the island’s most sought-after destinations, including Mudbrick Restaurant and Vineyard, Cable Bay Vineyards and Oneroa Village.
You’ll traverse the island’s coastal headland and enjoy sweeping views back to Auckland city and over the Hauraki Gulf on this moderate 8.3km trail. Note this trail is not well sign posted; we recommend printing off the directions provided below.
- Bring water with you.
- Wear sturdy walking shoes, sunscreen and a hat.
- We recommend bringing a jacket and warm layers, as the weather can change quickly.
- If you’d like to swim at Oneroa beach, bring swimming gear and a towel.
- From Matiatia Ferry Terminal, turn right to head south towards the car park. You’ll see a green and yellow trailhead indicating “Scenic Walking Tracks” to Church Bay.
- Follow the trail to the southern end of Matiatia Bay. You’ll see another green and yellow signpost indicating the direction of the Church Bay Track.
- Cross the footbridge, follow the track uphill to the lookout on Nick Johnstone Drive, and continue along the coastal track to Te Miro Bay. The coastline will lead you to Church Bay – when you get to the end, follow the track along the fence line to the top of the hill towards Church Bay Road.
- Turn left onto Church Bay Road. From here you’ll come across a few vineyards with restaurants if you’d like to stop for lunch.
- The entrance to Jurassic Ridge winery will be 150m on your left from where you enter Church Bay Road.
- The entrance to Mudbrick Restaurant and Vineyard is just 200m further.
- Cable Bay winery and restaurant is another 80m at the intersection of Nick Johnstone Drive.
- Afterwards, follow Church Bay Road all the way through Alison Park to Oneroa Village, where there are also many shops and lunch options – plus a stunning beach.
- When you’re ready to head back to Matiatia, turn left onto Ocean View Road and follow it to the wharf.