Known as the “Island of Wine,” Waiheke Island is the ultimate culinary destination. With a unique micro-climate allowing for a long growing season, the island is home to nearly 30 vineyards - many with restaurants and menus to complement the wine. Oneroa Village and Onetangi Beach also offer restaurant and café options, featuring locally-sourced ingredients and artisan foods produced right on the island.
Whether you’re planning a full-day foodie adventure, an afternoon of wine tastings, or just a special dinner date away from the big city, Waiheke is the perfect destination.
Waiheke Island WINTER WINE & DINE
- Winter Wine & Dine runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday from May to October.
- Select from one of four top Waiheke vineyards – Mudbrick, Cable Bay, Stonyridge & Batch
- Enjoy a seasonal multi-course meal with a glass of wine – see restaurant menu for specific offerings.
- Ferry sailing departs Auckland at 12pm, vineyard coach departs at 12.45pm from Matiatia Wharf.
- Return at your leisure on the Hop-On Hop-Off Explorer Bus.
- We suggest you allow at least 5 hours including ferry travel.
See what’s out there Waiheke Explorer Tour
- Flexible, hop-on, hop-off bus tour
- Scenic 1.5 hour loop tour of the island
- Explore at your own pace, stopping in 16 locations
- The cost-effective way to experience the island's best wineries, beaches, restaurants, and more
- On board host to help plan your day
- Return ferry to Waiheke Island from downtown Auckland
Waiheke Island Onetangi Valley Progressive Lunch
- Each of the three courses are hosted at a different winery
- 12.30pm – 1.30pm: Entrée & wine tasting at Stonyridge
- 1.30pm – 3pm: Main & glass of wine at Te Motu
- 3pm – 4.30pm - Dessert & Glass of wine at Tantalus
- Ferry sailing departs Auckland at 11am, Hop-On Hop Off Explorer Bus departs at 12pm from Matiatia Wharf
Devonport Local Shops & Cafes
Victoria Road, the main street and heart of Devonport, is a quick walk from the Ferry Terminal. It hosts many of the village's boutique fashion outlets, bookshops, galleries, cafes and restaurants. Enjoy a meal right on the water at the beautiful Devon of the Wharf, or at the historic Esplanade Hotel. Venture further up Victoria Road for classic Kiwi cafes and local pubs.Read more
From Victoria Street, stroll down the parallel Wynyard Street to visit Devonport Chocolates for handmade truffles. Try a sample and watch the team of chocolatiers make mix and concoct the treats right in the store. Their bean-to-bar chocolates and truffle assortments make excellent gifts.Read more