April 06 2019
Join us on for Rotoroa Island's fourth kiwi chick release of 2019! Come witness this very special event – a rare opportunity to see our national taonga up close. The annual Rotoroa Snorkel Day is happening directly afterwards, so you can see wildlife both above and below the sea!
Photo credit: Auckland Zoo
What to Book
The Kiwi Release
The kiwi release is a FREE event, but the usual ferry ticket pricing applies. Please book the Rotoroa sailing on Saturday, 6 April, which departs Auckland at 8:45am. Choose to book the Rotoroa sailing plus Guided Nature Walk for a full day of discovery.
Rotoroa Snorkel Day
Join Experiencing Marine Reserves for the annual Rotoroa Snorkel Day. For more information and to book this event (including ferry ticket), please visit Eventbrite.
- 8:15am – Arrive at Pier 4, Downtown Ferry Terminal to complete biosecurity briefing
- 8:45am - Ferry departs Auckland
- 10:00am - Ferry arrives on Rotoroa Island
- 11:00am - Kiwi Release (meet beside Exhibition Centre, Home Bay)
- 11:30am - Snorkel day activities (bookings essential)
- 11:30am - Guided Nature Walk (bookings essential).
Please note that the guided walk is usually 11:00am (as per the booking form), but has been moved to 11:30am to accommodate the kiwi release.
- 5:15pm - Ferry departs for Auckland
What to bring:
- Good walking shoes, sun block and a sun hat
- Swimming gear and a towel
- Plenty of water, snacks and lunch, as there are no food outlets on the island
- There are no rubbish bins on pest-free islands. Please remember to take all your rubbish, including leftover food, off the island with you.
Important pest-free island information
- Please check your bags for stowaways, such as mice, rats, Argentine ants and Rainbow Skinks to name a few.
- Ensure your footwear, clothing and bags are clean and free of soil and seeds.
- Your lunch must be packed in a rodent-proof/ sealed container e.g. hard plastic.
- No open bags or boxes will be allowed on-board. Everything you bring must be sealed or zipped closed.
Read more before you visit a pest-free island here.