July 27 2019
Rotoroa Island needs your help to restore its natural heritage. Join for a special volunteer day of weeding to help prepare for upcoming coastal planting. We’re giving volunteers a 40% discount to roll up their sleeves!
Rotoroa’s coastal planting programme aims to halt shore erosion on their beautiful beaches. Native plants along the dunes help recover eroded sand and restore coastal habitats for shore skinks and other native insect species.
We’re looking for 50 volunteers with gardening experience who can carefully release weeds from the island’s beach plantings and sand-binding grasses.
What to book
- To join the volunteer day, you must book your return ferry ticket for Saturday, 27 July.
- Enter the promo code 360111 to receive the 40% discount.
Terms & Conditions Apply
- 8:45am – Ferry departs Auckland
- 10:00am – Arrive on Rotoroa, welcome and biosecurity briefing
- 10:30am – Gear distributed and work begins
- 12.30pm – Break for lunch
- 1:00pm – Continue restoration work
- 3:00pm – Time to explore the island, followed by sausage sizzle
- 5:15pm – Ferry departs for Auckland
What to bring
- Plenty of water, snacks and lunch, as there are no food outlets on the island
- Sturdy shoes (no open toe), sun block and a sun hat
- Several layers of clothes and wet weather gear
- Gardening gloves if you have them
- Any medication you require, especially if you suffer from allergies
- There are no rubbish bins on pest-free islands. Please remember to take all your rubbish, including leftover food, off the island with you.
Important pest-free island info
- Please check your bags for stowaways, such as mice, rats, Argentine ants and Rainbow Skinks to name a few.
- Ensure your footwear, clothing and bags are clean and free of soil and seeds.
- Your lunch must be packed in a rodent-proof/ sealed container e.g. hard plastic.
- No open bags or boxes will be allowed on-board. Everything you bring must be sealed or zipped closed.
Read more before you visit a pest-free island here.