August 11 2019
Rotoroa Island needs your help to continue the restoration of its natural heritage. Join a passionate team of volunteers on their Family Planting Day. We’re giving volunteers a 40% discount off ferry tickets to get planting!
Rotoroa Island looking for 50 volunteers to help with planting on the beaches and inner-island areas.
Not only will you have a blast soaking up the ‘winter’ sun and atmosphere of this serene wildlife sanctuary, but you’ll be playing a vital part in keeping it running for years to come. And there will still be time to walk, relax, or go on an adventure to spot one of our endangered species!
This planting day is suitable for families and children. There will be a sausage sizzle, plus tea, coffee and hot chocolates.
What to Book
- To join the volunteer day, you must book your return ferry ticket for Sunday 11th August 2019.
- Enter the promo code 360111 to receive the 40% discount
Terms & Conditions Apply
- 8:45am - Ferry departs Auckland
- 10:00am - Arrive on Rotoroa, welcome and biosecurity briefing
- 10:30am - Gear distributed and work begins
- 12:30pm - Break for lunch
- 1:00pm - Continue restoration work
- 3:00pm - Time to explore the island, followed by sausage sizzle
- 5:15pm - Ferry departs for Auckland
What to Bring
- Plenty of water, snacks and lunch, as there are no food outlets on the island
- Sturdy shoes (no open toe), sun block and a sun hat
- Several layers of clothes and wet weather gear
- Gardening gloves if you have them
- Any medication you require, especially if you suffer from allergies
- There are no rubbish bins on pest-free islands. Please remember to take all your rubbish, including leftover food, off the island with you
Important pest-free island information
- Please check your bags for stowaways, such as mice, rats, Argentine ants and Rainbow Skinks to name a few.
- Ensure your footwear, clothing and bags are clean and free of soil and seeds.
- Your lunch must be packed in a rodent-proof/ sealed container e.g. hard plastic.
- No open bags or boxes will be allowed on-board. Everything you bring must be sealed or zipped closed.
Read more before you visit a pest-free island here.